5 Everyday Habits for Spring Cleaning
It's beginning to look a lot like SPRING! It has been such a harsh winter here in the Midwest so we are really looking forward to the arrival of warmer temperatures, longer days and emerging buds!
With a new season just around the corner, many of you will start to think about what tasks need to be accomplished for spring cleaning. I agree that certain tasks are truly appropriate for spring cleaning such as pulling last fall's leftover leaves from the landscaping, scrubbing down patio furniture and switching out sweaters and heavy coats from your wardrobe for lighter, brighter options. However, there are simple housekeeping habits that you can do everyday to make your home look and feel "springtime clean" all year round! Here are a few tried and true things that I complete at the close of each day:
1. Sort the mail - We all get tons of paper and envelopes in our mailboxes. It can really pile up and clutter our countertops. Take a minute each day to shred unwanted mailings, recycle newspapers and circulars, and place bills or cards in a small basket to look at later.
2. Empty the sink - This can be a hard one! It is so unappealing to dig into a mountain of dirty dishes at the end of a long day. However when you don’t have to face them in the morning, you will be so glad you did. Go one extra step and put the dry dishes away.
3. Straighten up the living room - After the events and tasks of the evening, my hubby, puppy and I can often be found reading or catching up on our latest streaming favs in the living room. We get out
blankets and throw pillows to cozy up. Chris and I also may have a snack or cup of decaf coffee/tea. Before heading off to bed, we take a moment to tidy up the living room. Blankets are folded. Pillows are fluffed and placed back on the couch. Plates and cups are rinsed out and placed in the sink. That
way tomorrow we start with a tidy space and everything back in its place.
4. Put clothes away- Try to make sure that dirty clothes make it to the hamper and clothes that you are going to wear again go back in the closet. It’s a simple thing but clothes laying around can really add to the over all mess around the house. Take a pit stop in the laundry room and grab any freshly cleaned clothes to take back to their closets and drawers.
5. Spot clean- Keep a bottle of multi surface cleaner handy. Give spots that often become smeared like the bathroom countertop or kitchen island a quick clean. This handmade cleaner is my go to:
Pour almost a 1/4 cup pure Castile soap into a reusable spray bottle. Add in 10-12 drops of tea tree essential oil. Fill the rest of the way with water and shake to mix. The tea tree oil is a great disinfectant and the Castile soap clears away dirt, grime and smudges!
I hope these tips help your home to feel spring clean everyday!